School Lunch Box Accessories- Ideas to Make Lunches More Fun
As everyone is trying to get their act together before school is back, I’ve heard many moms asking about school lunches and what to pack. Unless I’m totally slacking, we’ll just say 75% of the time, I pack healthy lunches for my kids. Last year, we tried out buying lunch at school a few times. After Cici came home telling me how wonderful Pop Tarts are for dessert after eating her delicious double cheese stuffed pizza, I realized that eating lunch was going to have to be a once in awhile occurrence. I don’t consider myself super strict on nutrition, but the topic of “healthy foods and why we eat them” is a popular conversation at our house as I realize that my kids are going to have to make their own food choices soon. We are not there yet though. So as long as I have control on what they eat, I’m going to try to get in some of the good stuff so they can feel their best.
Now, my daughter is super opinionated on what goes in her lunch. She has no problem telling me what she likes and what she dislikes. Of course, it is also obvious when she doesn’t touch certain things in her box after a few attempts at me packing them. Involving her in the grocery trip helps to gain interest in her lunches and I hear way less complaints. She sort of can’t blame me if she had a choice in it, right? That’s the idea anyway! I also try to add in some fun to the lunchbox to encourage her to eat a variety of healthy items. This year, I will have two kids eating lunch at school, so I’m going to up my game! Here are some lunch accessories I found that are sure to “wow” your kids at lunch!
- Yumbox– I got this lunch container for Cici last year and I loved it so much! It is leakproof, easy to clean (top rack of dishwasher), easy to open, comes in cute colors and designs, and has multiple compartments to add a variety of foods for your child’s lunch. They even make a smaller one that is a snack size.
2. Drink in the Box– this reusable drink box is an easy way to get your kids to drink more water at lunch! I like to dilute juice or add sliced fruit to flavor their water, so this was the perfect way to do that! They are cute and small enough to slide in the lunch bag. These boxes come in a few different colors and are BPA and Phthalate Free.
3. Mini Cookie Cutters– Last year I fancied up sandwiches with large cookie cutters. With the addition of the minis, these will make any cheese, deli meat, or fruit spread adorable! I love this set!
4. Fred CHIMPSTICKS– Cheater chopsticks are a fun and easy way to make lunch more interesting. The wide ends, shaped as the monkey’s hands, are great for picking up various foods. We have had these for years, way before school lunches, and the kids get a kick out of the monkey still! Not only is this a way to add amusement to lunch, but this can also help in developing those fine motor skills!
5. 3 in 1 Flatware Set– Fork, spoon and knife all in one. No brainer right there! Comes in a set of 6 bright colors.
6. Mini Lunch Notes- Let them know you are thinking about them with these precious lunch notes!! Cici loves notes in her lunchbox! I adore this set because of the illustrations and because it has a place to write your own personal message on the back. In the reviews there is a video review a customer did so you can see what the cards look like in the box. I know my kids will look forward to their note each day and they will make them smile.
7. Boiled Egg Molder– What kid would not want to eat an egg that looks like this?! What a creative way to get a quick punch of protein! I, admittedly, have not tried these yet, but you better believe I have some coming to me before school starts. It looks pretty simple too. Just peel the egg while it’s still warm and place it in the mold. Then pop it in the fridge to cool!
8. Snack and Dip Container– Cheese and crackers, carrots and ranch, celery and peanut butter, fruit and dip, pretzels and mustard. All sorts of ideas for this reusable snack container. Dishwasher safe, BPA Free, and it comes with it’s own spreader on the lid!
9. Reusable Sandwich and Snack Pouch– No more plastic baggies! These reusable pouches are simple to close, Eco-Friendly and dishwasher safe! All you have to do is flip it inside out and run it through the cycle. Anything that can go in the dishwasher is a huge bonus in my book!
10. Crinkle Cutter– Mixing it up with texture is sure to excite your child. I use this for cheese, cucumbers, zucchini, and carrots. This makes dipping way more fun for my kids. And when supervised, kids can enjoy the fun in prepping their own food with this nifty tool!
I know a lot of you are starting to gather all of your items for the school year. I’d love to hear what you all are doing to add special touches to your kids lunches!! Let me know your ideas!
*disclaimer, this post contains affiliate links, but don’t worry, I always believe in the products I endorse. By clicking links and purchasing, I do made a small commission, because, who doesn’t love a little extra income, am I right?